Sunday 30 May 2010

Ethan's Blanket


This is the Hap Blanket from Ysolda Teague. I started knitting it early in the year for my brother's newest littl'un. They didn't want to know if it was a boy or a girl - I know, I know, it's their choice, but damn they made baby knitting hard. I had to try and pick gender-neutral colours, which all the baby apparel shops have decided are stone, teal and green. I, however, don't see what's so wrong about wrapping babies in grey, so I used Rowan Pure Wool Aran (machine washable for all the inevitable spew and poops) in grey and teal. I love the colours, but once it was done they did seem rather boyish, so I'm glad Ethan came out Ethan and not Imogen.

The lace edging was pretty damn tricky, and finishing (blocking, sewing in ends) was a bitch, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and the garter stitch is lovely and smooshy and cosy. Kind of wish I'd kept this one for myself. Can't really deny the comfort of a hand-knitted blanket to a bundle of awesome like this, though:


It's just the most brilliant thing to have someone so special wrapped up in something I put many, many hours into. It is at times like this I love knitting the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment