Sunday 22 February 2009

Sock sadness

I cast on for my sock (for the third time) yesterday. So far, as is going well, I worked about 10 rows in 2x2 rib and am now well into the stockinette section. The bamboo needles are great and switching from 4 needles to 5 was the best idea ever. If I could recommend one thing with regards to knitting your first pair of socks, it would be this: don't knit late at night. This knitting-in-the-round business requires a lot of concentration, but my brain tends to stop functioning around 11pm. So I woke up this morning and discovered 3 fairly big holes in my work and an extra seven stitches. Seven! I don't know what happened, I guess I experienced memory-loss knitting, but I could not be bothered to fix it (after all, these are only house socks) so I decreased back to the original number of stitches and carried on. I'll... fix the holes later. Nah, really though, they should be covered up when I make my first tuck. Damn socks. What kind of a fool knits socks anyway?! I can get socks at Primark for 50p! Sure, they may be acid-green and give me herpes of the foot, but at least it is instantaneous sock gratification. I'm miffed at socks so tonight I am knitting the final sleeve of what I shall call The World's Most Boring Cardigan. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. This is like reading a starship captain's duty log. Will the engineering officer put out the fire in the warp core? I am out of my mind with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? You're right. Your blog is better.

    ReplyDelete